Haughton, West Felton, Shropshire, England
Haughton hamlet is miles north-east from West Felton and 2 east-by-south from Rednal station, on the Shrewsbury and Chester branch of the Great Western railway which intersects the hamlet. Rev. Owen F Jacson, who is lord of the manor, Col. Roger Mostyn-Owen D.S.O. and Robert Lloyd Kenyon Esq. D.L., J.P are the landowners. St. Chad's, a chapel of ease to West Felton, was erected in 1885, and is a small and plain edifice of red sandstone, with north porch and a turret containing one bell: it will seat 120 persons : there is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.
- Kellys Directory of Shropshire, 1929
Haughton township is 2 ½ miles north-east from West Felton and 2 east-by-south from Rednal station, and contains 1,010 acres. The Shrewsbury and Chester railway intersects the township. The Rev Thomas Mainwaring Bulkeley Bulkeley-Owen B.A. J.P. of Tedsmore Hall, who is lord of the manor, Arthur Mostyn-Owen Esq. J.P. of Woodhouse, Rednal, and Sir Henry Thomas Tyrwhitt Bart. J.P. of Stanley Hall, Astley Abbotts, are the landowners. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here ; rateable value, £4,645. St. Chad's chapel of ease to West Felton, erected in 1885, at a cost of about £500, entirely defrayed by the Rev T. M. Bulkeley Bulkeley-Owen B.A. J.P. of Tedsmore Hall, is a small and plain edifice of red sandstone, with north porch and a turret containing one bill: it will seat about 8o persons.
- Kellys Directory of Shropshire, 1891
Haughton, a township two miles N.E. from West Felton, contains 1,010A. 3s. 22p. of laud, chiefly low fertile meadows, frequently flooded by the river Perry overflowing its banks. In 1811 here were 38 houses and 212 inhabitants. Rateable value, £1,482. 3s. The principle landowners are Mr. Thomas Austin, Mr. Thomas Briscoe, Mr. William Prue, Mr. John Roberts, Mr. John Vaughan, and Mr. Thomas Vaughan; besides whom are several other freeholders. The tithes are commuted for £163. 16s. 4d. The Chester and Shrewsbury railway intersects the township. A superior freestone for building purposes is got here. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel in the village.
The Farmers in Haughton are William Humphreys, Robert Large, Thomas Minshall, Charles Peacock, William Prue, and Joseph Vaughan. There is also a farm held by the late family of Robert Rogers. The other residents are Thomas Austin, tailor; John Kynaston, wheelwright; and John Vaughan, blacksmith.
- Bagshaws Directory of Shropshire, 1851