Rednal, West Felton, Shropshire, England
Rednal or Rednall, a township two and a quarter miles from West Felton, with a scattered population, contains 1,566A. 1R. 23P. of land, and in 1841 had 21 houses and 140 inhabitants. The soil is chiefly a strong fertile loam, with a mixture of clay, producing good wheat and barley. On the low lands, near the banks of the river Perry, which forms the boundary of the township, is some good grazing land, some parts of which are occasionally flooded. William Mostyn Owen, Esq., owns the land. The tithes are commuted for £233. 4s. The Ellesmere and Queenshead turnpike road crosses the township, and the Shrewsbury and Chester railway has a station here, which is two miles distant from West Felton. Woodhouse is a beautiful mansion of white freestone, the seat of William Mostyn Owen, Esq., delightfully situated on gentle eminence, commanding fine views, and surround by park-like grounds beautifully wooded. The mansion is approached by a noble portico, supported by four circular columns; and there is a fine avenue of beech and other trees on the south side of the park.
Directory.—William Mostyn Owen, Esq., Woodhouse. Farmers: Thomas Cartwright, the Buildings; Edward Humphreys, the Old Mill; Edward Meredith; William Meredith; John Thomas, the Leys; and Robert Williams, Lower Lees. James Adams, station master; Paul Briscoe, blacksmith; Robert Brookfield, slater; Moses Tomlinson, shopkeeper.
- Bagshaws Directory of Shropshire, 1851
Rednal is a township and railway station, 2 miles north from West Felton, containing 1,565 acres ; rateable value, “2,144 5S; the river Perry bounds the northern part of this township. Woodhouse, the seat of Arthur Mostyn-Owen Esq. J.P. lord of the manor and owner, is a beautiful mansion of white freestone, with a portico supported by four circular columns, and is situated in a park of about 120 acres. The Shropshire Union Canal and Railway Company has a wharf and warehouse here.
- Kellys Directory of Shropshire, 1891
Rednal is a hamlet 2¼ miles north from West Felton, with a station on the Great Western railway: the river Perry bounds the northern part of this hamlet, Woodhouse, the seat of Col. Roger Mostyn-Owen D.S.O,. lord of the manor and owner, is a beautiful mansion of red brick and white freestone, with a portico sap-ported on four circular columns, and is situated in a park of about 120 acres. The Shropshire Union Canal and Railway Company has a wharf and warehouse here.
- Kellys Directory of Shropshire, 1929